Request transfer - Rightholder and Manager
You can request a spectrum licence transfer by submitting an online Form 9 'Notice of transfer of spectrum licence' in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).
What you need to know
Only the Rightholder acting alone, or a Rightholder and Manager acting together, can transfer a spectrum licence.
This process is for Rightholder and Manager acting together to complete the transfer.
- Start the transfer — the Rightholder.
- Authorise the transfer — the Manager.
If a spectrum licence falls across more than one Management Right, all Managers will get an email to authorise the transfer.
Start the transfer — the Rightholder
- Logon to the Register of Radio Frequencies(external link) (RRF) using your username and password.
- Select Manage Licences > Spectrum Licence Forms > Transfer Spectrum Licence from the main menu. The Search Licence to Transfer screen opens.
- Enter the details of the licence you want to transfer, or
- Leave the search fields blank to see a full list of your current licences
- Select [Search].
- Click the radio button next to the licence you want to transfer, then click [Select]. This opens the Form 9 (incomplete) screen. (This is the online ‘Notice of transfer of spectrum licence Form 9’.)
Note: You can only select once licence to transfer at a time.
- Fill in the form as follows:
- Enter the transfer dollar amount, excluding GST.
- Click [Find] to search for the client you want to transfer the licence to. The client's details will be populated in Form 9. If the client doesn't exist in the RRF, contact us
- Click [Notify Manager] to submit your Form 9 transfer the Manager. You'll see:
- The Management Right number displayed at the bottom right of the screen
- The Form 9 (Awaiting Manager) screen advises that the Manager of the licence in the Management Right has been notified. There may be more than one Manager notified, if the spectrum licence falls across more than one Management Right.
- The Form 9 is allocated a unique ID.
- We'll send you an email when the Manager has submitted the Form 9 to the Registrar and the Registrar has processed the transfer.
Note: An incomplete Form 9 will automatically discard after 1 month if the Manager doesn't authorise the transfer.
Authorise the transfer — the Manager
You'll get an email when the Form 9 has been lodged by the Rightholder.
To authorise the transfer:
- Log on(external link) to the RRF using your Manager username and password.
- Select Manage Licences > Spectrum Licence Forms > Manage Spectrum Licence Forms from the main menu. The Manage Forms screen opens with a list of forms queued with a status 'Awaiting Manager'.
- Click the Form ID link. Each Manager must check the transfer details are correct.
- Click [Submit Form 9]. This opens the Form 9 (Awaiting Manager) screen. You'll get a pop-up box asking if you want to proceed with the transfer.
- Select OK to continue. The Form 9 (Awaiting Registrar) screen opens and you'll see the transfer awaiting Registration.
- We'll send an email to Rightholder and Manager when the transfer is registered.
- If a spectrum licence falls across more than one management right, all Managers will be notified by email.
- the first Manager will see the [Approve] button to authorise the transfer.
- the last Manager will see the [Submit Form 9] button to submit the form for registration.
- If you decide not to authorise a transfer, it can be declined, but you need to enter a reason. The Rightholder will get an email notifying them that you've declined the transfer.
- A spectrum licence transfer isn't valid until the Form 9 is registered in the Register. This means the new Rightholder can't start broadcasting until the licence registration commences.