You must get an Approved Radio Certifier (ARC) or an Approved Radio Engineer (ARE) to apply for a licence on your behalf.

The licence covers a wide geographic area, like a town, city or district. This is determined by the height your repeater sits on a hilltop or building. The higher it is, the further your signal will travel.

You have protection from interference from other radio transmitters. If you do cause interference to other licensed services, you must stop transmitting.

$150.00 per year per repeater


Additional costs:

An engineering fee, agreed between you and your ARC or ARE.

With this licence you must:

Follow the technical parameters of the licence that is crafted for you. This includes operating:

  • on the specified frequency
  • up to a maximum power
  • from a defined transmitting location to a defined receiving location.

Pay an annual licence fee to keep your licence current.

Not operate in a way that causes interference to other radio services.

Your equipment:

Must be compliant with the relevant radio standards and the relevant technical parameters for this licence.

Product compliance Gazette Notices

If you bought your equipment in New Zealand and it's:

  • labelled with an RSM approved RCM mark or R-NZ label, you can start using it immediately
  • not labelled with an RCM mark or R-NZ label, go back to your supplier and get New Zealand-approved equipment.

If you bought your equipment online or overseas, you may not be able to set it up to operate on New Zealand frequencies. Go back to your supplier and ask for equipment with an approved RCM mark or R-NZ label.


  1. Once your the licence is certified you’ll get an email

    • Follow the instructions in the email to confirm your licence.
    • Make payment if requested.
  2. You’ll receive a further email, confirming that your licence has been granted.

    This contains important information that you need to know about transmitting on your new licence.

  3. Set up your equipment at the location(s) on your licence.

  4. Start transmitting from the date on your licence.