What you need to know

You must get and Approved Radio Certifier (ARC) or Approved Radio Engineer (ARE) to apply for a licence on your behalf.

You can use this type of licence for:

  • Radio dispatch services.
  • Communicating between parties at a stadium (eg, event management groups) or construction site.

If you cause interference to other licensed services, you must stop transmitting.


$150.00 per year

Additional costs:

An engineering fee, agreed between you and your ARC or ARE.

With this licence you must:

Follow the technical parameters of the licence that is crafted for you. This includes operating:

  • on a specific frequency
  • up to a set power
  • from a defined transmitting area.

Pay an annual fee to keep your licence current.

Not operate in a way that causes interference to other radio services.

Your equipment:

Must be compliant with the relevant radio standards and technical parameters for this licence. The standards are in place to ensure your equipment is technically efficient and will work well with other land mobile services in New Zealand.

Product compliance Gazette Notices

If your equipment is not labelled with an RCM mark or R-NZ label, go back to your supplier and get New Zealand-approved equipment.


  1. Once your the licence is certified you’ll get an email

    • Follow the instructions in the email to confirm your licence.
    • Make payment if requested.
  2. You’ll receive a further email, confirming that your licence has been granted.

    This contains important information that you need to know about transmitting on your new licence.

  3. Start transmitting from the date on your licence in the area specified on your licence.