Amateur Radio Operators GUSL

With this General User Spectrum Licence you can operate your amateur radio equipment without the need to get a licence in your own name or pay licence fees.

About this General User Spectrum Licence (GUSL)

This GUSL covers the operation of radio transmitting equipment used by amateur radio operators in New Zealand. You'll share this GUSL with other amateur operators.

Licence numbers

There are 2 licences that apply.

Note: This GUSL doesn't include the operation of amateur beacons, repeaters or fixed links.

Amateur licences

Operator qualifications and callsigns

To transmit under this GUSL you must have:

  • a current General Amateur Operator’s Certificate of Competency (GAOC)
  • a callsign.

Only New Zealand citizens or New Zealand permanent residents can be granted a New Zealand GAOC.

See visiting amateur operators for information about amateur radio operators visiting New Zealand.

Visiting amateur operators

To get a GAOC or callsign

Contact an Approved Radio Examiner (ARX) if you:

  • need a GAOC they can offer you the amateur radio operator’s examination and allocate you a callsign.
  • have a GAOC, but it’s not current and you don’t have a callsign they can update your certificate and allocate you a callsign.

Find an ARX

Certificates of Competency and callsigns are recorded in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).


$0.00 - There is no fee for a General User Spectrum Licence (GUSL). All fees associated with this licence are paid for by Radio Spectrum Management (RSM).

However, you may need to pay a one-off examination fee and/or callsign issue fee. This is agreed between you and your ARX.

Your responsibilities

You must follow the technical parameters and conditions of the licence, which include operating in specific frequency bands and up to a set power limit.

You must not operate in a way that causes interference to other radio services.