Get a licence to supply radio equipment
With this licence you can import and/or supply radio transmitting equipment in New Zealand.
About this licence
With this licence you can import and/or supply radio equipment by way of sale, exchange, lease or hire-purchase. You can also apply for an endorsement to supply unrestricted two-way radios, used in amateur radio operations.
$0.00 — there's no charge for this licence.
If you're granted a licence to supply radio equipment, you must:
- only supply transmitting apparatus that is either:
- Licensable under regulation 8 of the regulations; or
- Exempt from the requirements to be licensed pursuant to regulation 10 of the regulations; or
- Licensable under subsection 48(1)(a) or 48(1)(b) of the Act.
- not supply vehicular short-range radar devices.
- not supply prohibited two-way radios (unrestricted two-way radios) without an endorsement to supply these to certificate amateur radio operators.
- The Licence to Supply Radio Transmitters does not allow the Licensee to conduct radiocommunications.
- Any authorised inspector shall be granted, at all reasonable times, access to supplier records for the purposes of ensuring compliance with this licence.
- Login to the RRF and select Apply/Create from the main menu.
- Select the Licence to Supply Radio Transmitter option.
- Enter your details and select Save.
If this is the first time you have accessed the RRF, the Onboarding screen will display. You will need to complete the onboard process.
Import and supply of unrestricted two-way radios
Once you have a licence to supply, you can apply for an endorsement to import and supply unrestricted two-way radios to the amateur market. To apply, email email@example.com.
If approved, we'll endorse your licence by adding special conditions that you must meet, including the following:
- provide monthly returns of your imports and sales (or a nil return that covers your transactions), including the:
- name of the supplier
- licence number of the ‘Licence to supply radio transmitters’
- details of the person you supplied the equipment to, including:
- their name, callsign, address and phone number
- the date the equipment was supplied, and
- the make, model and serial number of the equipment.