Our role and objectives
Radio Spectrum Management (RSM) is a business unit within the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
What we do
We're responsible for managing radio spectrum in New Zealand. We:
- allocate rights for the use of the spectrum
- enforce compliance with licensing requirements
- provide policy advice to government on radio spectrum, and
- administer the Radiocommunications Act 1989 and the Radiocommunications Regulations 2001.
Our key objectives are to:
- Strengthen NZ’s business environment by improving our legislative, regulatory, and business frameworks. This helps our national and international markets function well.
- Ensure our licence administration process is fast, simple, and effective. This helps us maintain the necessary information and systems for successful radio engineering.
- Balance compliance requirements with business needs. This ensures a regulatory environment that doesn’t impose a burden on business. Instead, it encourages innovation.