Review of the radio spectrum fees framework
In 2015 we released a consultation document that proposed changes to the radio spectrum licence fee framework. 36 submissions were received, and these were taken into account when considering changes to the fees framework.
Under the Radiocommunications Act 1989, Radio Spectrum Management (RSM) collects annual fees for all radio and spectrum licences. Since the last fees review was undertaken, radio spectrum management costs have declined — due to a move to online systems and a strong focus on efficiency and cost control.
We were able to pass those benefits on to licence holders, with fee changes taking effect from 1 October 2017. The changes made the fees regime simpler, by reducing the number of fee categories from 47 to 4. This allows for a fair distribution of radio spectrum management fees across licence classes.
- Standard fee for most licences decreases to $150 annually (incl. GST).
- Amateur licence fee category for repeaters, beacons and fixed links, set at $50 annually (incl. GST).
- 2 fee categories for multiple location licences, for land mobile radio services only:
- For licences covering up to a maximum of 5 locations, the fee is $600 annually (incl. GST).
- For licences covering an unlimited number of locations, the fee is $1,500 annually (incl. GST).
- Online payment discount and licence interference investigation discount incorporated into base fees for all licence categories.
- Manual payment fee of $25 introduced to cover additional administrative cost of processing manual payments (eg, cash or cheque).
General User Licences are still free to users under the new fee structure.
See Annual licence fees for the current fee categories and fees.
Submissions closed on Monday, 7 December 2015. They can be viewed on the page Review of the Radio Spectrum Fees Framework — submissions.
- 2Degrees [PDF, 335 KB]
- Alderson (Steve) - Radio Electronics Group ZL1REG [PDF, 274 KB]
- Balch (Martin) - NZART Dunedin [PDF, 194 KB]
- Barnes (Mike) [PDF, 465 KB]
- Bodell (Eric) - Radio Woodville [PDF, 103 KB]
- Chorus [PDF, 179 KB]
- Ertel (Gary J) - Data Over Radio Limited [PDF, 106 KB]
- Farrell (Brian) [PDF, 177 KB]
- Hampshire (Kevin) [PDF, 134 KB]
- Harris (Warren) - Upstage Productions Ltd [PDF, 328 KB]
- Heazlewood (Rod) [PDF, 98 KB]
- Howell (David) - NZART Otago [PDF, 44 KB]
- Jepsen (Steve) [PDF, 98 KB]
- Johnson (Ross) [PDF, 133 KB]
- Kirkpatrick (John) - KiwiCare Electronics Ltd [PDF, 99 KB]
- KiwiRail [PDF, 755 KB]
- Kordia [PDF, 102 KB]
- NZ Fire Service [PDF, 264 KB]
- NZ Police submission (CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL) - Redacted [PDF, 736 KB]
- NZDF submission (CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL) - Redacted [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- NZME (Clare Bradley) [PDF, 478 KB]
- Orion New Zealand [PDF, 188 KB]
- Princen (Monique) - Tenaz [PDF, 236 KB]
- Radio Broadcasters Association [PDF, 168 KB]
- RFUANZ [PDF, 327 KB]
- Salcom (Bremner, David) [PDF, 451 KB]
- Teamtalk (CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL) - Redacted [PDF, 53 KB]
- Tellen (Briggs, Malcolm) [PDF, 356 KB]
- Tunzelman (J R von) - National Radio for Te Anau [PDF, 152 KB]
- TVNZ [PDF, 504 KB]
- Vodafone [PDF, 31 KB]
- Waikato VHF Group Inc. [PDF, 284 KB]
- Wallace (Don) - NZART [PDF, 346 KB]
- Wallace (Don) - NZART 2007 Supplementary Submission [PDF, 213 KB]
- Yaldwyn (John) - AREC [PDF, 446 KB]