Search callsigns in the RRF
A step-by-step guide for all users to search for callsigns in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).
This process only applies to callsigns that are registered online via the RRF. The majority of maritime radio licences are issued by the Coastguard(external link) and are not recorded in the RRF.
The search process
Callsigns in the Aeronautical, Amateur and Maritime bands can be searched for, and viewed in the RRF. They can also be printed as required.
Follow the steps below to search for callsigns.
Do one of the following to display the Search certificates and callsigns screen:
- Choose Search certificates and callsigns from the Search Register menu
- Click Search certificates and callsigns on the RRF homepage.
The Search Certificates & Callsigns screen functions as follows:
- You can search by any of the available fields.
- Entering less information in the search criteria returns more results.
Some points to note:
- The callsign prefix drop down box has three options: ‘ZL’ for amateur, ‘ZM’ for maritime and ‘ZK’ for aircraft callsigns.
- The MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) is a series of nine digits which are sent in digital form over a radio channel in order to uniquely identify the vessel or any maritime facility.
- The RTN (Radio Telex Number) where assigned, allows the vessel to communicate by telex via a maritime radio frequency.
The callsign ZM2084 was entered in the screen above and the results are displayed:
Some points to note:
- Only maritime call signs (ZM) have a vessel name associated with them.
- Two types of ‘Licence ID’ are present:
- 'Maritime GURL' - means the vessel is operating under the conditions of the Maritime Purposes General User Radio Licence. This means you can transmit without the need to get a licence in your own name or pay licence fees.
- A numerical Licence ID - this is an individual licence which incurs an annual licence fee.
- Client and Licence ID information is available by clicking on the relevant links on the screen.
Click the ‘Client No’ link. The Maintain Client Details screen is displayed:
Clicking the ‘Addresses and Contacts’ link on the left of the screen gives access to that information for the specified client.