Search callsigns in the RRF
A step-by-step guide for all users to search for callsigns in the Register of Radio Frequencies (the Register).
This process only applies to callsigns that are registered online via the Register. The majority of maritime radio licences are issued by the Coastguard(external link) and are not recorded in the RSM Register.
The search process
Callsigns in the Aeronautical, Amateur and Maritime bands can be searched for, and viewed in the Register. They can also be printed as required.
Follow the steps below to search for callsigns.
Log into the Register(external link).
Do one of the following to display the Search certificates and callsigns screen:
- Choose Search certificates and callsigns from the Online Services tab drop down menu
- Click Search certificates and callsigns on the Register homepage.
The Search Certificates & Callsigns screen functions as follows:
- You can search by any of the available fields.
- Entering less information in the search criteria returns more results.
Some points to note:
- The callsign prefix drop down box has three options: ‘ZL’ for amateur, ‘ZM’ for maritime and ‘ZK’ for aircraft callsigns.
- The MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) is a series of nine digits which are sent in digital form over a radio channel in order to uniquely identify the vessel or any maritime facility.
- The RTN (Radio Telex Number) where assigned, allows the vessel to communicate by telex via a maritime radio frequency.
The callsign ZM2084 was entered in the screen above and the results are displayed:
Some points to note:
- Only maritime call signs (ZM) have a vessel name associated with them.
- Two types of ‘Licence ID’ are present:
- The Maritime GURL (general user radio license) is a licence to transmit and does not incur an annual licence fee.
- The numerical Licence ID is an individual licence specific to person, aircraft or vessel, and incurs an annual licence fee(external link).
- Client and licence ID information is available by clicking on the relevant links on the screen.
Click the ‘Client No’ link. The Maintain Client Details screen is displayed:
Clicking the ‘Addresses and Contacts’ link on the left of the screen gives access to that information for the specified client.