Become a registered user in the RRF
To get a licence, or a radio operator's certificate, you must be a legal entity and a registered user in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).
On this page
Registered users can apply for the following in the RRF:
- licence to transmit radio waves
- licence to supply radio transmitters
- radio operator's Certificate of Competency to operate amateur or maritime radio equipment
- amateur or maritime radio callsign
- lodge a mortgage or caveat.
You can search the RRF anytime without the need to be a registered user.
Check whether you're a legal entity
Check if you meet the requirements of a legal entity: Legal entities for the purposes of the Radiocommunications Act 1989 (PIB47)
You need to complete and submit a request to become a client in the RRF. You can do this yourself, or choose one of the following options:
- if you want a licence, ask an Approved Radio Engineer (ARE), Certifier (ARC), to set you up and apply for a licence on your behalf
- If you want to sit the radio operator's examination and get a callsign, ask an Approved Radio Examiner (ARX)
- if you want a Licence to Supply Radio Transmitters, ask RSM.
There may be a fee charged by the approved person working on your behalf.
If you're an overseas individual or organisation, you must provide:
- your New Zealand business address. This is the address that your business operates from.
- the name and address of your New Zealand contact person. This could be an existing contact you have in New Zealand, or an Approved Person.
We'll contact you if you haven’t given us enough information.
Once you submit the form, we will set you up as a registered user. It can take up to five days for your application to be processed.
We'll send you an email with your activation code once your application has been processed. You can then setup your username and password to transact in the Register.
Your details are saved in the RRF.
To get a radio or spectrum licence
Complete and submit the relevant request form for you or your business, or find an approved person to do this for you.
To get a licence to supply radio transmitting equipment
Complete and submit the relevant request form for you or your business, or contact us to do this for you.
Get a certificate of competency or callsign
Complete and submit the relevant request form for you or your business, or find an ARX to do this for you.
Once we've processed your application, we’ll email you an activation code to set up your username and password. This can take up to 5 days.