This is the top of the main content
Get a certificate and/or callsign
If you operate radio transmitters in the amateur or maritime services you must hold a radio operator's certificate of competency and use a callsign for identification purposes.
On this page
Applying for certificates and callsigns
Examinations for a new Radio Operator Certificates of Competency are offered by an Approved Radio Examiner (ARX).
Amateur certificates of competency and callsigns are issued by an Amateur ARX. They will offer you the examination and issue a callsign.
The licence you'll operate under is a General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators.
Maritime certificates of competency and callsigns are issued by a Maritime ARX. They will offer you the examination and issue a callsign.
A Maritime ARX can also offer you a:
- Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)
- Radio Telex Number (RTN)
The licence you'll operate under is a General User Radio Licence for Maritime Purposes.
Searching operator's certificates and callsigns
You can search your amateur or maritime operator's certificate and callsign in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).
Go to the Register of Radio Frequencies(external link) Welcome page and select either:
- Search Certificates, or
- Search Callsigns
Your equipment must be compliant with the relevant radio standards and the relevant technical parameters for this licence.
If you bought your equipment:
- in New Zealand and it's:
- labelled with an RSM-approved RCM mark or R-NZ label you can start using it immediately
- not labelled with an RCM mark or R-NZ label, you'll need to go back to your supplier and get NZ-approved equipment.
- online or overseas, you may not be able to set it up to operate on NZ frequencies. You'll need to go back to your supplier and ask for equipment with an RSM-approved RCM mark or R-NZ label.
Certificate and callsign rules for radio operators
PIB 46 details the rules for the issue of radio operator certificates and callsigns for amateur and maritime services.
Radio Operator Certificate and Callsign Rules (PIB 46)
View or change your details in the RRF
- Login to the Register of Radio Frequencies(external link) using RealMe. The ‘My Dashboard’ screen displays.
- Click your name (in the top right of the screen) and select My Account.
- Click Edit and update your details in the fields that are editable.
- Click Save when you're finished.
Additional information is available on the Update your client record page.