Get a certificate and/or callsign
If you operate radio transmitters in the amateur or maritime services you must hold a radio operator's certificate of competency and use a callsign for identification purposes.
On this page
Examinations for a new Radio Operator Certificates of Competency are offered by an Approved Radio Examiner (ARX).
Amateur certificates of competency and callsigns are issued by an Amateur ARX. They will offer you the examination and issue a callsign.
The licence you'll operate under is a General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators.
Maritime certificates of competency and callsigns are issued by a Maritime ARX. They will offer you the examination and issue a callsign.
A Maritime ARX can also offer you a:
- Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)
- Radio Telex Number (RTN)
The licence you'll operate under is a General User Radio Licence for Maritime Purposes.
You can search your amateur or maritime operator's certificate and callsign in the Register of Radio Frequencies (RRF).
Your equipment must be compliant with the relevant radio standards and the relevant technical parameters for this licence.
If you bought your equipment:
- in New Zealand and it's:
- labelled with an RSM-approved RCM mark or R-NZ label you can start using it immediately
- not labelled with an RCM mark or R-NZ label, you'll need to go back to your supplier and get NZ-approved equipment.
- online or overseas, you may not be able to set it up to operate on NZ frequencies. You'll need to go back to your supplier and ask for equipment with an RSM-approved RCM mark or R-NZ label.
PIB 46 details the rules for the issue of radio operator certificates and callsigns for amateur and maritime services.
- Logon(external link) to the RRF with your username and password. Your personal homepage opens.
- Click Logon Details > Change your Logon Details from the main menu. The Logon Details screen opens.
- Update your details in the fields that are editable.
- Click [Save] when you're finished.
Additional information is available on the Update your client record page.