Home > Licensing > Types of licences > Telecommand/Telemetry licences
Document Actions

Telecommand/Telemetry licences

Who does this licence apply to?

Persons or other legal entities that own and operate land based radio transmitting equipment for linking between fixed points on a shared user basis in the TT bands.


Short Range Devices

Many short-range data communication requirements may be satisfied by the General User Radio Licence for Short Range Devices. This GURL covers devices such as remote car-lock/unlocking, wireless LAN cards, burglar alarms etc.


IoT testbed

We have set up a three year IoT testbed after consulting on new uses of the 174 – 230 MHz spectrum. Spectrum from 210 – 220 MHz is available up until February 2022. We have published rules for you to read.

You can apply for an IoT licence in the VHF band by contacting an Approved Radio Engineer (ARE) or Approved Radio Certifier (ARC) to get a licence.


Longer distance data communication

Where users have a requirement for longer distance data communication it may be appropriate to seek a telecommand/telemetry licence which allows for higher power within the shared frequency environment of the TT bands.


Applying for a telecommand / telemetry licence

You can apply for a telecommand/telemetry licence in the TT bands by contacting an approved radio engineer or certifier.

For applicable licence fees refer to the fees schedule.

Last updated 30 January 2019