Home > Licensing > Types of licences > Satellite earth station licences
Document Actions

Satellite earth station licences

Who does this licence apply to?

Persons or other legal entities that own and operate earth based radio transmitting equipment for communications through earth orbiting satellites.

To help you decide if you need a satellite earth station licence, please see our Satellite earth station interactive guide.


What are satellite services?

Radio services to the wider population are increasingly being provided via earth orbiting satellites. The economic value of communication, digital television, weather information, navigation and other services to New Zealand is immense and increasing steadily over time. Both geostationary and non-geostationary satellites can provide services.

Satellite access may be for fixed purposes over long distances as an alternative to a terrestrial network, or for maritime and land mobile services. Co-ordination and licensing of satellite access is required to be conducted internationally through appropriate agencies.


How are satellite earth stations licensed?

The majority of Mobile Satellite Service (MSS), Satellite News Gathering services (SNG), and Very Small Aperture Terminal satellite services (VSAT) are covered by a General User Radio Licence (GURL) for Satellite Services. This means no individual licence is required as long as the transmission adheres to the terms and conditions set on the GURL.

All transmissions in the satellite services and outside the scope of the GURL must be individually licensed.

For further information on policy regarding satellite service refer Radio Licence Policy Rules (PIB 58).


Applying for a satellite licence

You can apply for satellite earth station licence by contacting an approved radio engineer or certifier.

For applicable licence fees refer to the Fees schedule.

Last updated 2 May 2017