Home > Consumers & Users > Travellers tips
Document Actions

Travellers tips

Many radio services have different frequency allocations throughout the world. As a consequence, a radio transmitter that may operate satisfactorily in one country may cause interference in another.

Travellers considering the purchase and importation of radio transmitters including walkie-talkies, baby monitors, cordless telephones and similar equipment, should first check with Radio Spectrum Management. Freephone number 0508 RSM INFO (0508 776 463)

Overseas callers, phone +64 3 962 2603, You may also email us at info@rsm.govt.nz

The following information is provided as a general guide as to what equipment is likely, or unlikely, to be a problem.


Animal Tracking and Training Devices

Garmin, SportDog Tek and other animal tracking and training devices operating on USA MURS (150MHz) frequencies are prohibited products in New Zealand.


Cell Phone and GPS Jammers

These are prohibited products in New Zealand and most other countries.


Cordless phones

Cordless phones purchased in other countries (except Australia) are unlikely to be acceptable for use in New Zealand. Such phones may cause interference to cellular bands or other radio services.
Cordless phones purchased in Australia, particularly those bearing the RCM, C-tick or A-tick symbol are likely to be acceptable for use in New Zealand.

RCM symbol       [image] RCM-mark.

C-tick symbol       [image] C-tick-symbol.

A-tick symbol      [image] A-tick-symbol.


HF (High Frequency) Citizen Band (CB) radios

CB radio operates in both the 26 MHz band and the international 27 MHz band in New Zealand.


UHF (Ultra High Frequency) Citizen Band (CB) radios

UHF Citizen Band radios from USA (FRS or GMRS) or from the UK or Europe (PMR446) and other countries are on frequencies which will cause interference and must not be brought into New Zealand.

Australia’s UHF Citizen Band service operates in the 476 MHz band, the same as the Personal Radio Service (PRS) in New Zealand. UHF CB radios acceptable in Australia are acceptable for use in New Zealand.


Radio controlled models and toys

The 27 MHz band is internationally used for radio control purposes, therefore models or toys operating in this band can be used in New Zealand. Many other bands are used for model control but there is limited international standardisation. Accordingly it will be necessary to check the acceptability of equipment which uses other frequencies before importing or using the equipment.


Baby monitors

While some baby monitors available in other countries use frequencies authorised in New Zealand others will cause interference to radio services. Accordingly it will be necessary to check the acceptability of equipment which uses other frequencies before importing or using the equipment.


Amateur radio equipment

Amateur radio operators holding foreign amateur operator certificates or licences visiting New Zealand for less than 90 days can operate under the terms and conditions of the General User Radio Licence for Amateur Radio Operators.

Those staying for longer than 90 days will need to apply for a New Zealand Amateur Operator Certificate via an Approved Radio Examiner.

Last updated 2 December 2014