Te Huarahi Tika Trust
- Te Huarahi Tika Trust (THTT) is pleased for the opportunity to present this submission to the Ministry of Economic Development in relation to the discussion paper “Radio Frequency Auction: 2.3 Ghz and 2.5Ghz Bands”.
- It is not our intention to comment on all of the sections of the Discussion Paper, but to submit specifically in regard to Section 5.
- It is noted that THTT supports the stated Government Priority’s in relation to facilitating
- Faster, cheaper broadband; and
- Competition in the telecommunications sector.
- In regard to the question around provisions regarding allocation of the noted spectrum for the use of Maori as a service provider, THTT remain strongly of the view that to fully engage commercially in this sector a portfolio of spectrum bands are required.
- It is in this regard that THTT again promote the view that as per 2000 when Government set aside a parcel of spectrum for Maori engagement into telecommunications, that the same model again be applied.
- That is, THTT be given exclusive rights to purchase a parcel of the spectrum available for auction at an agreed discounted price.
- This should be considered the ideal model to work to assist Maori engage more fully in ICT, as per the Government Digital Strategy.
- THTT believe that if the above were confirmed, it would to a large degree also enable greater uptake and usage by Maori service consumers and enhance the opportunities for Maori language and culture in the modern world using up-to-the-minute technologies.
- THTT concur with the views of the New Zealand Maori Council that reservation of a parcel of spectrum for promoting Maori language and other interests should be regardless of any managed spectrum park.
- We add our support to submissions made by Hautaki Ltd and NZ Communications Ltd.
Last updated 4 October 2007