Transfer a spectrum licence
Licences in the Register of Radio Frequencies can be either radio or spectrum licences. Learn more about radio and spectrum licences.
This procedure applies to spectrum licences only.
What is required?
A statutory form Notice of transfer of spectrum licence (Form 9) is required to transfer a spectrum licence.
A Form 9 that intends to transfer a spectrum licence is not valid until it is registered in the Register of Radio Frequencies.
Only the rightholder (holder of the spectrum licence) can start the transfer of a spectrum licence. This can be done electronically in SMART by the rightholder submitting a Form 9 to the Registrar of Radio Frequencies. Both the current and new rightholder will be electronically notified by the Registrar once the transfer has been registered – only then can the new rightholder commence transmissions.
Can I still present a paper transfer form?
A paper Form 9 can still be presented to the Registrar for registration. The following applies;
- The Form 9 must be in duplicate (two originals)
- Both originals must have the full name of the rightholder (holder of the spectrum licence)
- Both originals must specify the spectrum licence number
- Both originals must include the transfer sum excluding GST (could be zero dollars)
- Both originals must have the legal name of the new rightholder
- Both originals must have the legal address of the new rightholder
- Both originals must be signed and dated by the current rightholder
- Both originals must include the name of the actual person signing the Form 9 (on behalf of the current rightholder)
- Both originals must be signed by a witness
- Consent from relevant managers may be required
- Include a covering letter with a brief explanation to the Registrar
A Paper Form 9 can be delivered in person or by post. It is Radio Spectrum Management’s strong recommendation that posted Form 9s are sent by registered courier. Form 9s are received at three different locations depending on who the owner of the management right is:
- Where Manager consent is required in a Crown Management Right please courier to:
Crown Spectrum Asset Manager
Radio Spectrum Policy and Planning
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
33 Bowen Street
- Where Manager consent is required in a private Management Right please courier to the relevant private Manager.
- Where consent is not required please courier to:
The Registrar of Radio Frequencies
33 Bowen Street
NOTE | If your licence transfer is started in SMART, then this paper process is not required - submitting a Form 9 online is immediate.
Disclaimer: This information does not constitute legal advice.