Information for RSM approved ARE's & ARC's
Approved Radio engineers and certifiers with special information requirements associated with radio and spectrum licensing may obtain assistance from RSMLicensing@med.govt.nz.
Certification of licences
Preparing of spectrum licences:
Spectrum Licences can only be certified by an Approved Radio Engineer (ARE).
For more information on engineering spectrum licences, please read the spectrum licence engineering rules.
For information on preparing online spectrum licence forms and other licensing functions, go to SMART user guides for RSM approved ARE's and ARC's.
Preparing of radio licences:
Radio Licences can be certified by Approved Radio Engineers (ARE) or Approved Radio Certifiers (ARC).
For more information on engineering radio licences, please read the radio licence engineering rules.
Further information on other licensing functions is also available in the SMART user guides for RSM approved ARE's and ARC's.
RSM reference documents
- PIB 47: Legal entities for the purposes of the Radiocommunications Act 1989 - information for ARE's and ARX's to identify a party's legal status.
- PIB 38: Radio Licence Engineering Certification Rules – offers guidance for ARE’s and ARX’s to carry out radio licence certification.
- PIB 39: Spectrum Licence Engineering Rules for Crown Management Rights –offers guidance for ARE’s only to carry out spectrum licence certification.
- Operational Policy documents (POLDOCs) - These documents specify the licensing policies for radiocommunication services.
- SMART user guides – offers online licensing assistance to ARE’s and ARC’s to apply for, modify, transfer or cancel a licence, craft and certify a licence, find a licence and extract licence and frequency information from the online Register of Radio Frequencies (SMART).
- Spectrum search lite
- Reference standards - offers guidance to ARE’s in determining the compatibility between radio services when certifying spectrum licences.
- Radio standards and compliance requirements - EMC information to ARE’s and ARC’s about protecting the radio spectrum, minimising interference and allowing effective use of radiocommunications services
- RSM Technical Monographs - offers Aero FMBC coordination processes
- Radio spectrum overview - reviews the radio spectrum policy in New Zealand, covering legislation, radio licence administration, spectrum rights, broadcasting and spectrum reservations.
New Zealand Frequency Reservations
- The Radiocommunications Act
- Radio Regulations
- AIP New Zealand - Aeronautical Information. This resource includes aerodrome charts, en-route flight charts and flight rule. A list of radio communications facilities is also available in GEN Services GEN3.7.
- New Zealand Standards
- ITU Recommendations and International Radio Regulations are copyright protected and available at http://www.itu.int/net/home/index.aspx.
- ICAO publications are copyright protected and available at http://www.icao.int/eshop/index.html
- ETSI Standards are available at http://pda.etsi.org/pda/queryform.asp
Applying for ARE or ARC status
For information on how to become an Approved Person refer to PIB34 Applications for Approved Engineer and Approved Certifier Status, and send us a completed application form which is in the back of this document.
Auditing of ARE/ARC’s
RSM undertakes auditing of licence certificates to ensure compliance with the Act, Regulations, technical compatibility, best practice in radio spectrum engineering and the ongoing competency of the Approved Person. For more information refer to PIB 40 Audit Procedures for Engineering Certificates. This document outlines the RSM process for auditing of ARE’s and ARC’s.